Sunday, April 18, 2010

Tip of the Day - Sometimes you have to spend money to save money

It sounds crazy but sometimes you do have to spend a little money in order to save a little.  Say there's a deal this week that Southern Savers is advertising where you can get free cereal with an available coupon that was not in your local coupon insert.  There are actually websites where you can buy these coupons.  Take a minute to look at My Coupon Hunter and The Coupon Clippers.  These sites have coupons that have actually been clipped from a coupon insert and you can buy them for a few cents each.  I prefer My Coupon Hunter over The Coupon Clippers just because it only cost the price of the stamp to receive the coupons from My Coupon Hunter.  The Coupon Clippers do charge what they call a service fee of $0.50 on top of the $0.44 shipping charge.  They also have a minimum balance that must be spent.  My Coupon Hunter is much easier to use and straight forward in my opinion.  However there may be times when The Coupon Clippers may have the coupon you are looking for and My Coupon Hunter may not so it's good to bookmark them both.

So back to the cereal....say you can get free cereal at Publix with a coupon that you only have one of or don't have at all.  Simply get on My Coupon Hunter and see if they have the coupon you are looking for.  It's such a good deal that you decide to stock up and get 10 boxes of cereal and therefore purchase 10 coupons.  So here's how it would work...

$1.00 - For a total of 10 coupons at a cost of $0.10 each
$0.44 - Cost of shipping
$1.44 - Total amount you will spend
$0.14 - Amount you will spend per box of cereal since it will be free after the coupon!

Now isn't that worth it!  This is also a good reason to get online and checkout the sales the first day they are posted or even the night before since Southern Savers is usually ahead of the game.  That way you will know if there is anything you might want to buy and possibly purchase coupons for.  I have had good luck with My Coupon Hunter getting the coupons to me within a couple of days so that I can make sure to use them before the sale ends.

Now don't you think it might be a good thing to spend a little money at times to save a little? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment